April 14, 2014

a billion lashes isn't enough.

Ok my little lipstick darlings,  I find it crucial to dedicate an entire blog post to this, because it's something near and dear to my heart: eyelashes.

Recently, my gorgeous mom was complaining about her less-than-lengthy lashes, and this got me thinking about just how important lashes are... they are one of the most [if not the most] important elements of the makeup routine because nothing translates without mascara... throw on a pair of falsies and the look is taken to a whole 'notha level! At the bare minimum, mascara opens the eye and makes it appear larger.

Example: 
[without mascara]
[with one coat of mascara]


Now, my favourite part of the eye dressing process is eyelash curling, and I've been doing this practically since I could walk. I started off using the typical drugstore impostors, until I was introduced to the holy grail of eyelash curlers. Enter: The Shu Uemura eyelash curler. [Quick fact: this curler is so great because it's japanese and was born from a need to curl asian eyelashes which are the straightest and hardest to lashes to curl.] You can pick up this wonder tool at Sephora for around $25, but trust me it's LIFE-CHANGING. Eyelash curling is a must. If you don't do this you might as well just skip everything and give up on makeup altogether.

[my love, Shu]


So as for the remainder of the lash process, I have cultivated a short list of the best mascaras to try based on your needs:

For LENGTH... try a synthetic brush.
[save] Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara ($10)
[splurge] Bobbi Brown Lash Glamour Extreme Lengthening Mascara ($30)

For VOLUME... try a big bristled brush.
[save] Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Mascara ($8)
[splurge] Christian Dior DiorShow Mascara ($30)

For FALSE LOOK... try fiber formulas.
[save] L'oréal Paris Voluminous False Fiber Lash Mascara ($12)
[splurge] Lancôme Hypnôse Doll Lashes Mascara ($31) *Lipstick Darling Mascara of Choice! 

For CURL... try a curly wand. (BUT DONT FORGET THE CURLER)
[save] Maybelline The Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara ($7)
[splurge] Buxom Sculpted Lash Mascara ($23)

For EVERY SINGLE LASH... try a spiky, domed brush.
[save] Revlon Photoready 3D Volume Mascara ($12)
[splurge] Benefit They're Real Beyond Mascara ($29)


And to finish off your look, I actually really like QUO lashes from Shoppers for a low-cost alternative to luxury lashes from companies like MAC… But don't skimp on the glue! Only DUO lash glue will do! (I prefer the dark colour, but clear is great as well).




Have a favourite formula or suggestions for other great picks? I always love hearing them!












No comments:

Post a Comment