March 5, 2015

february beauty buys!

Finally it's March! And among the arrival of SPRING (we're seriously dying a slow, snow-covered death here in Ontario), this also means it's time to review last month's beauty buys!




L'Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray
A makeup setting spray was an usual drugstore find, as I've only seen the luxury beauty brands offering them, so when I spotted this one from L'Oreal I thought I would give it a try. I am going to give it another chance, but I can't say I was overly impressed the first time I used it. It's mist isn't "super-fine" as it claims, and I was shiny a couple hours later. For everyday use, it might do the trick, but I still prefer Urban Decay's All-Nighter setting spray for bridal, special events, and all-day/night wear. Considering this one is $17 (not that cheap for drugstore), I would probably just recommend splurging on the Urban Decay one.

Shoppers Drug Mart, $16.99

Marcelle BB Cream
An old favourite! I recommend this BB cream to everyone. It has just the right amount of coverage to make your skin look like it's naturally flawless when you don't want to wear a lot of makeup, plus it has all the benefits of a BB cream... and if you get the 'anti-aging' one it has sunscreen for an added bonus! 

Shoppers Drug Mart, $22.95

NYX Baked Blush + Illuminator
I saw this product in a tutorial and wanted to give it a try, and managed to get these on sale at Target's liquidation sale. Colours are "Sugar Mama" (coral) and "Spanish Rose" (pink). They are baked and have a shimmery finish, which is nice if you want a highlighted look. For a drugstore brand, I was impressed with the pigmentation, and finish.

Target, $10.99 (on sale for $7.69)

St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Mousse
A celeb-favourite! An easy to use self-tanning mousse that gives you a rich bronze colour. Good for maintaining your vacation tan, or for pretending you don't like in such a desolate and depressing climate.  Recommeded for use with the tan applicator mitt. 

Sephora, $38 

Sally Hershberger Supreme Lift Root Spray
This was a re-purchase for me, I've used this product for a while as it really does give volume and body to your hair when sprayed on roots before blow-drying. And I love the hot pink packaging!

Shoppers Drug Mart, $12.99

L'Oreal Extraordinaire Liquid Lipstick by Colour Riche in "Nude Ballet" 
I'm a sucker for nude lipsticks/glosses/pencils, I legit probably have about 15-20... So what's one more? This was another Target Liquidation find, and something that's been on my radar since I read Kim Kardashian wore this at her last wedding. It's a really pretty colour, not too light, but still considered nude, and has a lot of pigment. It creates a natural look and lasted quite a while! I will definitely try other colours of this product.

Target, $8.99 (on sale for $6.29) 

Beauty Blender Solid Cleanser
A lot of my beauties don't use/understand/know about the beauty blender (foundation sponge that creates a flawless finish!), and that's a blog post in itself, but I recently picked up the solid cleanser for beauty blenders because I was sick of using lathery shampoo that took forever to rinse out. 5 stars for this product!!! If you own a beauty blender I advise you to fork over the $20 for this cleanser - you will not be disappointed. It took every trace of makeup off my BB and rinsed clean in just a couple minutes. 

Sephora, $20

Stila Eyes are the Window Eyeshadow Palette in "Mind"
I love this palette!! The colours are beautiful, the pigment is amazing, and they are all matte finishes which I am obsessed with lately. Don't get me wrong I love a good shimmer shadow, but mattes are so versatile and create a modern, clean, youthful eye look. Every colour you need to create a natural to smoky-eye look is here, and as a bonus it's formulated without parabens and sulphates. If anyone wants to see swatches, let me know in the comments! 

The Beauty Boutique, $60

Rimmel Wonder'lash Mascara
I picked this mascara up after reading a review of new drugstore products to try, and I've used it a few times with mixed feelings. Initially I liked the first application, but have changed my mind in subsequent applications. I like the applicator wand and formula (it contains argon oil), but it didn't volumize (is that a word?) my lashes as much as I would have liked; it's more of a separating and lengthening formula. To be honest, I feel like every mascara that is sold at the drugstore is manufactured in a massive warehouse from the same formula, and then sent to different lines for different brand packaging. THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING. Just a thought I have from time to time.

Shoppers Drug Mart, $8.99 (on sale!)

Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless Foundation
I have combination skin and large pores, so anytime a product claims to mattify and minimize pores I'm all over it. I liked this foundation's coverage and finish, but after a couple hours I was no less shiny than usual. I wouldn't say this is a breakthrough in mattifying foundation, but it's worth picking up if you are looking for a good drugstore foundation. 

Shoppers Drug Mart, $6.99 (on sale!)

____

If you have used any of these products I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments!


Lianne



No comments:

Post a Comment